Maintain your car’s engine as per maintenance
schedule in the vehicle’s handbook by
taking your car to service centre for
servicing at proper time. Switch off
the engine, if you know you’re going
to be stationary for more time at a
: Do not ride the clutch. Use it only
to change gears
Drive in a gear that corresponds to the
speed you’re at. Drive in the gear that
your engine feels the most comfortable
at that speed.
Wheel: Unnecessary steering wheel
movement need to avoided since each sideward
movement increases total driving distance
by a small fraction.
Maintain a steady speed whenever possible
and avoiding unnecessary braking.
Use rolling resistance rather than heavy
braking to help slow you down.
- conditioner: Do not use air-conditioner
at lower speeds, but roll the windows
up and turn it on at high speeds.
Remove the detachable carrier, if it is
not in use. An empty carrier can increase
consumption by 1% & loaded one by
5% in highway.
Anticipating stops and avoid abrupt stops
will decrease fuel consumption and increase
the life of brakes and tires.
Filters: Replace the dirty
air filters in your vehicles. If you
don't check and replace your car's air
filter, dust and dirt get blown back
into the engine—which can cause a reduction
in mileage and harm your engine. Checking
and replacing a dirty air filter can
improve mileage in your car by as much
as 10 percent.
inflation: Check your car’s
tires on a regular basis to make sure
they are properly inflated. The less
air tires do the more work to get anywhere.
Regular checking of tire inflation can
improve mileage by more than 3 percent.
Use manufacturer’s recommended grade
of oil in an engine. By using wrong
kind of oil, could actually hurt your
mileage. Improve mileage by as much
as 2 percent by using proper oil.
Drive the car in speed limit. Limit aggressive
driving. Speeding, quick acceleration
and excessive braking all lower your mileage.
Driving: While driving in the
night take extra precautions like
- Do not mix the drink & drive
- Do not smoke. Nicotine will hinder
- Clean the headlamps, tail lamps, indicators,
inside & outside of windows
- Aligned headlights properly otherwise
it will blind the other drivers &
even reduce your ability
to see the road
- Switch off the main beam whenever
in doubt about something on the road
- Use proper gap when following a vehicle
- If the oncoming traffic does not lower
its beam, to avoid the glare, watch
the left edge of the road and use it
as a steering guide.
- Take a brake in between & relax
yourself to maintain concentration level
in Rain: Drive car carefully
while taking extra precautions
- Drive slowly to prevent skids
- Steer and brake with a light touch
- While stopping car, do not brake hard
or lock up the wheels
- If car is skidding, do not panic as
it will only add trouble. Ease your
foot off the accelerator pedal, steer
the car carefully in the direction you
want the front of car to go.
- The water pressure causes the car
to slide on a thin layer of water between
the tires and the road. To avoid, keep
your tires properly inflated
- Slow down on wet roads. Try to drive
in the tire tracks left by the cars
in front of you.
downs: Use an advance-warning
triangle. It can be used to warn other
road users while brake down on the road.
Use red cloth in case you don’t have a
Accidents: If met with any accident
- Stop the car off the road
- In case someone injured, administer
first aid. Call local help & rush
to nearest hospital.
- Inform the police quickly
- Note down the registration number of
the other vehicles involved
- Inform insurance company as per the
Failures: Use following guidelines
- Pump the brake pedal fast & strongly
many times to build pressure, if the
pedal brake suddenly gives way
- Shift to a low gear if there is an
- Use hand brake 4.Activate the hazard
lights and look out for a safe place
- Hold the steering wheel firmly &
draw the vehicle towards the corner
of the road, in case of puncture &
- Do not brake suddenly, draw the car
off the road in case accelerator wire
broken & found sudden loss of acceleration
- If you sense the fire, switch off
the ignition and draw the car towards
the side of the road. witch on the hazard
lights. Put sand on the fire. If the
fire grows, stay away from it, it could
lead to an explosion.
Efficiency: To know your car’s
mileage/ fuel efficiency, use following
- Fill up the fuel tank completely,
up to brim!
- Note down the odometer reading before
starting the engine (If you have a trip
meter or two, you can reset it to read
- Use your car as you drive usually
- Once fuel gauge indicates a half or
a quarter-full tank, fill up the
fuel up to the brim preferably from
the same filling station, filled last
- Note down the quantity of fuel it
takes to fill the tank up to the brim.
- Note odometer reading once again 7.Now
calculate average/mileage/fuel economy
of your car as the difference between
the starting and end points in km divided
by the amount of fuel required to fill
the tank up at the end, in liters or
average fuel consumption = (end point
– starting point) / fuel quantity